Prologue
Well, I had another post, a video, in which I had three or four short points to cover about goofy things about Malawi. But went I went to tape it, I started improvising, and by the time I had finished, I had seventeen minutes of straight video. Now, though this was rather ridiculous, I needed something to post, and so decided to put it up. Fortunately for all of you, the blog uploader wouldn't accept the file, and it was too long for my youtube account. I could find no way to split it (I had edited it slightly), and so I gave up. But then I decided to go back and look at stuff I had written previously, but never posted, and found this one. It's from about three months ago, but no matter. I was really in the mood to be goofy this post, but this is a serious post. Actually, as it was written before, I guess I've ended up being exactly nothing. Perhaps I will redo my other video and limit myself to two minutes. I don't know if I can actually do that. But be that as it may, I shall now stop rambling and leave you in peace.
The Sky
Tonight we went to an Indian festival
called Diwali. Thousands of
Indians gathered out in a field in Limbe to celebrate their god's
victory over evil. The field was surrounded with lights so bright
that I effectually forgot it was night, and music pounded out of an
impressive array of speakers surrounding a giant stage. I've been
missing the sound of bass (yearning for it, actually) when I listen
to music over here, but this music pulsated with such a seriously
heavy bass line that I stopped missing it in the space of about a
minute and a half, on the outside. The music pounded on and on. I
finally got tired of sitting there listening to it, so I attempted to
ignore it and have a conversation with some of the people I was with.
I knew I was failing failed miserably when I glanced down at my knee
and saw it bouncing uncontrollably in time. I clapped my hand down
on it and held it on the ground.
As the music and
lights broadcast themselves to the world, I leaned back in my chair
and gazed up at the sky. There was nothing to see. It was dark, but
more a smeary gray than anything else. Three or four starts were
visible, but they were dull and uninspired looking. What kind of
fool would rather gaze up there than at the dazzling array of stimuli
down in the field? Suddenly, the thought of the grandeur and majesty
that the sky actually holds popped into my mind. Wasn't it weird
that this array of contraptions looked more majestic than the
universe did from where I was? This thought was quickly followed by
another: that I am stuck here on this planet, lost in its wonders and
literally unable to see the truly wonderful, really real thing that
is above me and all around me. I get caught up in all the trappings
of this life, both good and bad, and never see above my own little
field. I never grasp how great the sky is.
God would have
me break free, and fly away from the trappings of this world into the
sky! He would have me know what is really important and lasting and
real.
But I cannot. I
will never be able to. There is no way on earth that I could have
lifted myself out of my seat and into that night sky, though I
desperately wanted to. In the same way, there is no way I can lift
myself out of this world into the sky of God's perfection. I am
hopelessly trapped.
I
became aware of the lights and the pounding music with a crash. As I
waded through the program, I kept thinking of the sky. On stage, the
dances were varied. Sometimes they were beautiful tradition dances.
On occasion, they more resembled a night club. The music was always
loud, the lights were always blinding. An endless procession flew
across the stage and I all but forgot the sky. The lights and the
people and the music kept on. A dance finished, and I sat back in my
seat, waiting dully for the next to begin. But then fireworks
suddenly burst from the night sky. People turned around,
stood up, gazed upward with cries of delight. The sky which had
seemed so dreary before was filled with light and beauty. The sky's
confusion was made clear. It had been undesirable, but was now
eagerly sought. (If you've ever seen the fireworks show in D.C. on
Independence day, you'll have an inkling of what this was like.)
Suddenly from nowhere, God spoke again (my thoughts from before were
of course God, too, because anything, I am learning, I think that is
above this world could only be from Him). I suddenly saw that that
was where God wants me. He doesn't want me to sit down here in a
grassy field trying to see what on earth is so special about some
crummy old sky that I can't see anyway. He wants me, broken free, a
reminder born of the earth, to soar like those fireworks into the sky
where I can see Him, and where the world can see me, and be drawn
upwards to Him. You see, when those fireworks started, the music was
still pounding. But soon, even it faded to nothing in the face of
the fireworks' splendor. It is only when I have broken free, fled
this life, lost this
life that I can truly be full, and it is not until I am truly full
that I can change the world. If I, like the woman at the well, fill
myself up on things of this world, I will become thirsty again.
Relationships, jobs, causes, and people's opinions cannot fill me up.
They just keep falling down the black hole in my heart and leave me
thirstier than before. (There's a great song about seeking the wrong
things in a life that is striving for God—Every Little Prison by
Matt Maher—that I've been loving.) Only Christ can fill me so that
I will never be thirsty again.
But even this simple surrender I cannot do on my own. If I hang onto
my pride and self-sufficiency, I cannot break free from gravity's
pull and light up the sky that no one can see from earth. I have to
cast aside everything: every hope for love, fulfillment, or honor,
every effort to fix myself, every sideways glance at who's watching,
and just give in. Only when I give in can God transform me into who
I'm meant to be, truly. Then it would no longer be sham
transformations that come apart as soon as I'm exasperated, or have
had a bad day; it would be true heart-change that defies any thought
of how people see me, any thought of myself at all, really, but sees
only Jesus. The goal of this life is Jesus alone. Nothing on the
side. Nothing.
How am I to get there? I don't know. But I guess that's kind of the
point—that I am not sufficient. If I want to move into a place
where God can really use me, I have to quit, to let go. I have to
give up to win. Matthew West sings, “I know I'm not strong
enough/to be everything that I'm supposed to be/I give up; I'm not
strong enough/hands of mercy won't you cover me/Lord, right now, I'm
asking you to be/strong enough, strong enough, for both of us.”
I'm not good at letting God be strong enough, always, but I'm gonna
try, and I know that He'll do His best for me. (And is His best not
always enough?) The Hindus are celebrating their god's past victory
over sin; I'm celebrating my God's present victory over we. Because
He will win it. (He always does.)
Jonathan, God is the only answer. His words are the best response, because all others' are just the words of humans. Your post made me think of these verses:
ReplyDelete"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor. 12:9,10
"Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him. You come to the help of those who gladly do right, who remember your ways." Isaiah 64:4,5
And just one more: "I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a hew heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws...I will save you from all your uncleaness." Ezekiel 36:25-29
God is with you, Jonathan. And I am praying for you daily. I love you!!!
Thank you, Momma! Encouraging words always help. That first Paul verse is exactly what I was trying to get at...
Delete