Sunday, October 12, 2014

Neither can God.

Hi.  It's been awhile.  I just got off the phone with a good friend.  Usually, talking to this friend brings a whole lotta joy.  But rough stuff is going on.

And as I sat alone, reflecting, a few statements coalesced.

1. I cannot save* my friend.

2. I could love perfectly, know every answer, have the wisdom to navigate every problem, invest all my time, and give everything I have and am, and number one would still be true: I cannot save my friend.

3. Neither can God.  As long as my friend refuses to let Him, neither can God.  .

This third realization bore down on me.  Neither can God.  

I was upset.  No, I was angry.  I am angry.  "Why, God?  You promised power!  I was counting on You!  I trusted You!  And now You tell me that You just CAN'T?"

I cannot.  

That sucks.

Yes.  

It does.  It sucks.  Even as I type tears come to my eyes.  It's sad; we treat God like a catch-all, a safety net, an insurance policy.  We say, "I'm happy just the way I am, thank You, but I'd really like you to keep this and that consequence from occurring.  Thanks."  God isn't like that.  He wants to save* us.  But God doesn't force; He stands at the door and knocks.  He comes in for whosoever opens the door.  God doesn't compel our love.  We have an ugly word for forced love--rape.  God isn't like that.

And so we're stuck with a system that sucks.  God says it sucks.  Read Isaiah (esp. ch. 59).  Read Jeremiah (start with ch. 5).  Read Psalms.  Read Revelation.  Read Genesis.  Read the Gospels, for crying out loud.  It's all throughout the Bible.  God wishes he hadn't created man (Gen. 6:6); Jesus weeps for Lazarus's death and his sisters' unbelief (Jn. 11:35).

This world sucks.  Should we be surprised?  Perhaps that's why John ended Revelation with "Amen; come Lord Jesus."

Yes.  Exactly.  Come Lord Jesus.

But until then, teach me to love without ceasing, knowing that when it comes down to it, I cannot force anyone to accept salvation.


*Biblical definition of save: rescue, restore, make whole, heal.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Jonathan. God has a plan (despite a world that sucks), and His plan is good - though we may not see how at present. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete