Here in
Malawi the shopping responsibilities have pretty much fallen to me.
Jen doesn't like the way they look at her, and I don't really blame
her. Actually, I don't blame her at all. So she makes the lists and
I do the legwork. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at two things
about this whole shopping thing. First is that I can't pick a
cucumber apart from a zucchini, and the second is that I don't
remember any of her instructions unless she writes them down. Oh,
and I don't know how to tell if fruit is good or rotten. And I don't
remember the prices I pay from the time I pay them until the time I
get home. And I—but that's enough for this post, I think. Keep
this list of points of emphases in mind, because I won't. Oh, and
we're just going to skip straight to the second, because there's
nothing else to say about the first, other than that it's true as
creation.
So.
Let's get at it. I generally go after we come home after school. I
change out of my slacks and button up shirt and dress way, way down.
Pretty early on I took to adding a bandana tied around my head under
my hair to keep the overgrowth (this isn't a problem anymore) and
sweat (this is) out of my eyes, and also because it makes me look so
totally hip and cool. I blend right in; since I started wearing it,
they hardly even notice I'm there anymore. Other than that I just
wear shorts, flip-flops, a T-shirt, and maybe my light long sleeved
thing to keep the sun off of my fluorescent-white arms (the larger
percentage of me that is covered, the more I blend in—I've
considered going as a ninja, but can't find enough black hand towels
anywhere).
Then I
throw on the backpack, stuff several million kwatcha in my pocket
(okay, it's only a few thousand but I still feel like some big crime
boss every time I go shopping because I'm carrying thick stacks of
bills all rubber banded together in my satchel or pocket, even though
it's worth only about eight bucks), and venture out the door. I walk
down the street like a talking mime, my hands flailing all over the
place as my eyebrows tap dance and my mouth moves non-stop. They
generally do something in return. I'm not sure if that's good
or bad, but at least they aren't glaring at me (most of the time).
I head
down the street that the hospital is on and turn left onto Glen Jones
Road. Blantyre is set up on a triangle of three main roads. Glen
Jones forms the top, Victoria Avenue runs down at as close to a right
angle from it as you'll find in Malawi, and then Haille Selassie Road
connects the two in a semi-straight line. Anyway, I turn onto Glen
Jones, and navigate past the minibuses. These things are, in the
words of Mr. Priester (an American sociologist who is married to the
only cardiologist in Malawi), “a menace.” They drive anywhere
and everywhere they please, and worse, stop anywhere they please, and
worse than that, don't stop unless they please. So I always
have to watch out around this eternal congregation of them, and
anytime I cross any road because, come to think of it, no one
stops unless they please when driving. They will run you down.
All the way past the buses the drivers say, “Hey Boss—where you
going Boss?” And “Limbe, Boss, Limbe? This bus for you.” It
wouldn't bother me if they didn't call me “Boss.” I hate that.
Even the little kids begging for money look at me with mournful eyes
and plead, “Please, Boss, please. Hungry, Boss, I hungry.” I've
seen them digging in the trash for food. I don't know what to do
with those little guys...
But to
get back to the minibuses, I just say, “No, no thank you Friend,
not today.” They seem to like that. “Okay, Friend, thank you
Friend, maybe tomorrow, Friend,” they say and let me go. But I
wish they wouldn't start with “boss.” Ugh. Maybe they'll all
get to know me enough to remember before long. (Since my first draft
of this near the beginning of our time here, a lot of them have
begun to know me, and have dropped the “boss.”)
Then,
almost directly after the minibuses is Victoria Avenue cutting away
to the right. This street has almost everything we ever really need.
There are all sorts of great little stores that are dirt cheap if
you'll take the time to figure out which ones have what, but as I
think we already covered, I can't remember squat that isn't written
down, so I always forget they even exist and head straight to the
bottom of the hill where People's Market is.
Now,
People's Market is fine, and we can pretty much get everything there,
but it's WAY more expensive than if I shop around, or at least so Jen
tells me. But I don't know what “shop around” means, and all
price tags look the same anyway, so I just go to People's. On the
way down, everyone stops and stares. I would like to think it is
because of my rugged good looks, but I have been forced to believe
otherwise by the cries of “Hey! American with height!” that all
the street vendors call out after me as they follow me down the
street. It's like I'm the Pied Piper or something. But instead of
my skill leading them on like rats, they are more like sharks drawn
to the sounds of a thrashing, wounded animal. I'm convinced that a
neon sign flashes above my head that reads, “Stupid, Gullible White
Boy.” And let me remind you that here, the locals can't be made to
understand the difference between the words “white” and “wealth,”
so they all assume I carry around stacks of US dollars and bags of
gold coins.
I had
managed to ward these piranhas off for a long while, but on a recent
trip I fell victim to one's attack. A short, friendly man came right
up beside me and said, “Hello, Friend—remember me, Friend?”
“NO,” my brain said as my mouth went, “Yeah! Yeah I do.” I
dunno. Maybe I'd seen him before; maybe it was that he hadn't
started with the infernal “boss” like everyone else. It doesn't
matter, though. I had said it. “Yes, Friend,” my new friend
smiled, “You going buy Peoples'?” “Yes, I'm going to buy
groceries,” my mouth informed him before my brain kicked in and I
added quickly, “But not very many. No, no. Only a few. Just a
few groceries. Not many; just a few.” “Ah...a-few,” he said,
smiling wisely, “You friend, buy from me, this?” He held up an
arm draped with bead necklaces. “Oh—no no. I have not much
money now (my English—and my accent—go bad when I'm down there),”
I faltered. I couldn't just say “No thank you, Friend,” and walk
away like usual, could I? Not after talking
to him! Surely not.
“Come now...we friends!” He smiled disarmingly. “Wait! No
we're not—not real
friends; just sort of
friends, as in there's good will between us,” my brain responded,
but my mouth apparently decided that it had said friend, and by the
kwatcha in my pocket, it was going to prove it (because we all know
that friendship is a monetary relationship [see note]), and said,
“Well...how much?” “Good, good, Friend.” He smiled again.
“These are ebony, from mountain. I can sell for five, six hundred
kwatcha (“Doesn't look like you can sell any,” my brain
quipped.), but for you, because you my friend, I sell for three
hundred,” he smiled up proudly at me. “No, no,” I said, my
brain regaining control, “I have not much money now; I need buy
groceries.” He looked crestfallen, then regained his composure.
“You name price. You my friend; you name price.” “One-fifty,”
I said, my brain beginning to lose control. “How 'bout two
hundred—you happy, I happy: two hundred.” “Deal,” my mouth
said, taking control again. I didn't have the correct change, and
neither did he, so he met me down at People's and I paid him then.
He tried to weasel me into giving him another fifty kwatcha because
“you my friend,” but I was already disgusted with myself and
said, “No. No thank you, Friend; I have no more extra money,”
rushed out between two oncoming minibuses, and escaped. (It's true,
by the way, when I said I had no extra money. We really were running
dry.)
Anyway, there's not much to tell about People's. It's like an
Albertson's, except smaller, and it's refrigerated section is rather
less refrigerated. You pick your products, pay the [outrageous, by
Malawi standards] prices and leave. If you ever come, never go there
for fruit and veggies. Ever. Come to think of it, Jen says not to
go there for just about anything, because you can get almost all of
it somewhere else for much, much cheaper. But I of course can't
remember where those somewhere's are, so I just go to People's and
get ripped off.
The
one place I do remember to go to is the people's market (not to be
confused with People's Market). It is a big open-air market where
all the small-time farmers gather together to sell their produce.
You can get honey for almost half what it costs at People's. You can
get a big bunch of the best bananas in Malawi for about US 30 cents,
if you don't settle for the vendors out front. Took me a while to
figure that out, but finally I found a man way in the back of the
network of canopies who was just awesome. I feel all warm and fuzzy
whenever I think of him and his bananas and all the kwatcha I save
(almost US twenty cents!). Hey, now; it feels like a lot when you're
dealing in kwatcha.
I often considered putting on a fake British or Australia or South
African accent so that I would blend in better because there are very
few Americans here, and our accent is apparently considered almost
entirely indecipherable and fully uncouth. But I never had the guts
to try it, and now they all know me.
Haggling is probably one of the most fun things over here. It is so
much fun and so satisfying. If I could only remember even the
general prices I paid for things between trips, I imagine I could be
pretty good at it. I have a feeling that I am going to be very
frustrated when I go back to America and am again trapped by brand
names and absurdly high set prices.
My
first haggle was with the banana dude outside
the canopies. I walked
up and said, “How much?” and he said, “One-hundred for this,
fifty for this.” I said, “One-hundred? Don't you think, maybe,
that's kind of a little high? ...Maybe?” Longs silence. How
about, um, eighty kwatcha?” Hopeful smile. I had no idea how much
bananas should cost, but knew my mistake when he snatched the bunch
up and all but chucked it at me, holding his hand out eagerly. As
we walked back home, I became more and more convinced that I had been
ripped off. He probably priced the bad bananas high and the good
bananas low, too, knowing I would go for the high price, which, of
course, I did.
Since
then it's gotten a little better, but about half of them smile in an
amused fashion when I begin to haggle, as if I'm a small child trying
to act like his daddy does. One responded to my offer of one-eighty
with an annoyed look and the words, “No. Two-hundred better.” I
grinned at him and said, “Two-hundred better for you;
one-eighty better for me.”
His annoyance bordered on wrath and he stared mutely at me. I
walked away.
But I've found that indiscriminately refusing to buy from the first
few sellers after talking with them lowers everyone's prices
dramatically. Also being overly picky about the produces' firmness
helps. I usually end up wandering around the entire market several
times trying to look like I know what I'm doing. I think that that
banana guy (as well as a potato guy and an onion guy) are my best
friends here.
By
the time I'm done with the market, my backpack is stuffed, and I'm
usually carrying a bag in my hands. Jen's precious tomatoes
invariable get smashed inside the backpack underneath
all the potatoes and
onions. Then I go to the supermarket, and by the time I'm done I
generally have two or three bags in each hand. Then begins the long
slog back up to our house. You see, Victoria Avenue is built going
down a big hill that gets a lot bigger on the way back. By the time
I get onto Glen Jones, the sweat is pouring down my face and I'm
breathing like a cow. People no longer respond to my now pitiful
attempts at friendliness. They just look at me, with no attempt to
hide their disbelief/disgust. The vendors are most relentless at
this point. Not only do they try to get me to buy things even more
mercilessly, they ask for a loaf of my bread, or a package of rice.
And I am barely able to resist them. This embarrassing lack of
physical fitness has spurred me into a state of exercising
semi-regularly, if running once a week and doing five or six crunches
every five days can be called semi-regular. But I am
genuinely distressed at my loss of fitness. Just not enough to do
anything about it. So I come home and drown my sorrows in six or
seven sandwiches, lie down on the bed and do nothing, and then eat supper
a few hours later.
NOTE: Mr. Priester loaned me a
book about African economics, and, apparently, friendship is
equated by money. A friendship in which you are not willing to
invest money to help your friend is a shallow one. The one who
claims he or she needs help is also the one who is able to decide
who's need (the potential “borrower's” or the potential
“loaner's”) takes precedence. This whole philosophy leads to
Africans buying things in small quantities so that they honestly have
none to share (even when this costs way more), and wasting their
money as soon as they get it so that they have none to share. This
explains why they ask for my food when I walk by with what looks like
six or seven loaves of bread. They do not understand when I tell
them that if I give them my bread I will not have any by the end of
the week. They also, of course, don't understand that I am a
volunteer with little money (it is still more than what most
of them get, though.) Anyway, there's your foreign culture
psychology lesson of the day. I'm still trying to figure out exactly
what my moral responsibility to all these hurting and hungry people
is...I have figured out that I can't just avoid them/not look at them
(I tried it; big no-no internally), but what about money? If I gave
money to everyone who asked I'd starve, but still... Right now, I'm
just making sure to take a little time to exchange customary
pleasantries in Chechewa with them, and express concern for their
well-being. Apparently, giving the kids money keeps them out of
school, because it allows them to be bread winners for their
families, so I don't do that. But the old women and the disabled
people are increasingly likely to get something.
I'm looking forward to coming over and seeing you demonstrate your produce-picking and bargaining skills!!! I could help you with your produce-picking, but NOT with the bargaining. I proved that in Peru... I would really like to meet your market friends and see all the things that you have been learning and doing. And by the way, thank you so much for taking care of your sister...you're a good man, Jonathan!!! :-)
ReplyDelete