. . .this?
Let me tell you.
- As I'm helping a student with his work he tells me, "You freak me out!"
- When we got here: Our supervisor said, "I will take the rules that you have put together and get them approved by the board and signed by the parents--you just have to give them to the Director of Education so that he has them." About a month ago: Our supervisor exclaims, "You are enforcing the rules!?! I told you that you had to get them approved by the board and signed by the parents before they would be school policy! You aren't able to enforce any rules yet."
- As I'm trying to explain in every possible way how to figure out a story problem to the same student, he asks me, "Can you explain this the easy way?" (And I ask you, what way is that?)
- One Friday we had cleaned our whole house and were about to do the laundry when we decided we were just too tired. But no problem, we realized we could get it started soaking and then finish it on Sunday. Sunday came and went, and so did Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursday morning, while brushing our teeth, we began to smell something. . .shall we say. . .not quite right? This soon turned into the category of "vile." By keeping the bathroom door shut at all times and not showering we managed to keep it like that for another week before making it to town to buy Water Guard which did not solve our problem. Of course, being this bad already, the smell could not get much worse if we waited another week to go and buy bleach--which we did.
- Telling the same student what he was supposed to be doing that day, I say, "You need to read section 2.5 in science and do comprehension check 2.5." With a puzzled look on his face he asks, "What are you trying to say?"
- Not only am I worried about my students (see above), but now I'm afraid these things have started to affect Jonathan's mental capacity. He went and shaved his head. Without even telling me he was going to do it! He just came back from shopping one day and it was gone. Then he had the nerve to go and cut it open on the bottom of someone's pool. The stitches have just come out.
- While walking on the sidewalk up to the grocery store, we nearly bowled several people over before our friend said, "Hey dumb Americans--you're walking on the wrong side of the path!" (Slightly exaggerated.)
- When the first book reports of the year were turned in (not including the student who permanently "forgot" hers), we found out that all but one had not actually read their books--even the 6th grade student who had picked a 3rd grade book.
- Meanwhile, back to home, we just found out that lentils apparently mold here after only one day.
- After the first book reports, most of the students seemed to be doing well, except for the two who decided that one chapter would be sufficient. Apparently our explanations were somehow inadequate because not only did they not understand why this was necessary but they also were unable to grasp how it could be done at all. After all, how is it possible to write a summary of a whole book?
- A short while after the laundry incident, we each looked into the shower and wondered if the other one had thrown up. It turned out that neither of us had. . .but the drain sure did! There was rotting food and decaying leaves all over the bottom. Since it keeps coming back, we think there may be a clog in some pipe or other. But that's just a guess.
- For Bible class, the students memorize a verse every week. Once they thought it was too long and promptly reminded me that, "We aren't in high school!"
- Getting ready to leave for some friends' birthday party, we were standing around the car of a kind neighbor who was letting us hitch a ride. "Are you ready to go?" she asked. "Yep!" I answered as I opened the door and started to get in right hand side. She just stood there staring at me with a funny look on her face. I looked back at her. "Ummmm. . ." she started awkwardly, "are you driving?"
Oh, Jen, this picture is priceless!!! You are on a pretty steep learning curve, I'd say...and having the experience of a lifetime while you're at it. I love your posts--it's wonderful to get a peek into your world. How about some more pictures?!? (I happen to know you have a great little camera...) :-) Love you both!!!
ReplyDelete(And by the way, I think that Dad solved the problem with our computer today, so I may be able to post something on my blog at long last...)
Thanks for the update! I LOVE reading what you guys are up to over there. (I especially liked the ending about the car..) I would have done the same thing haha! Love, Jess.
ReplyDeleteOh, Nenny! :) This made me laugh...I love reading your guys's posts! And that picture...is so stinkin' CUTE! :D
ReplyDeleteOh Jenny!! Wow - lots of stuff happening! The picture is great - very expressive! :-)
ReplyDeletePraying for you, and missing you TONS!!!
I laughed, I groaned, I shuddered (the drain ordeal is just gross)...I can't believe everything that's going on in your life right now! You're my hero for learning how to cope with it all, and laugh at the same time! :)
ReplyDeleteHa! Jen, though my experiences are slightly different, I can SO relate to you. I LOVE that picture of you in the mirror! I've made similar expressions myself :) Keep up the great work, though! I'm praying for you. And keep posting, I love reading them. I can't wait to till we're room mates again and can compare all of our pictures and experiences. Love you lots!
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Actually, when Jonathan read it aloud to me in a trial run, we laughed pretty hard--these things are so HILARIOUSLY FRUSTRATING!!!! :) Anyway, thank you for your prayers and please add one more request to them: that our fridge will start working so we don't have to buy a new one. ;) I love and miss you all!
ReplyDelete