Just a few things that have made me smile while here:
1. The way God's hand has been so evident throughout, and that He's letting us be here to see it.
(I'll have to tell you about it all sometime soon!)
2. Skyping these guys (and other guys, too)
(I'll have to tell you about it all sometime soon!)
2. Skyping these guys (and other guys, too)
3. Filling out the "wish list" from the Student Missions office
(this is the decal on the form, and my, oh my, is it spot-on in my case)
They're going to send me raisins!! (I hope!)
4. Julian: the youngest, cutest, most entertaining student we've got
Just before this clip, I had told Julian that he needed to go pick out a book for his book report. He went over to our book shelves, found one, and brought it over. I told him that this book would not work because it was for second grade. He told me that I would have to help him, then, because "all of the third grade books are used up." I told him to go over and try to find one by himself (we are trying to encourage independence in the little guys) and that I would be over in a little bit if he couldn't find one. I then decided that the second-grade book looked too interesting not to read, and as the other students were all doing well, I settled down to read about The Man Who Sold the Shade (yes, I know; bad teacher). But anyway, Julian was soon back at my side saying, "It's been a little bit...it's been a little bit now," which is where this clip starts. It's a little hard to hear, so turn the volume WAY up. Jules and I are just off camera to the left (that's our two desks that you see in the foreground). I put a narration to explain the visuals that go with each line below the video in case you have trouble following the clip.
Julian: "Jonathan...you said you would come to me in a little bit..." (He's tottering up.)
"You're busy reading!..." (He's peering over my arm.)
"You're busy reading!..." (He's peering over my arm.)
Me: "Yeah!..." (I'm very distracted.)
'Julian: "Don't read this! uh, you, you said 'in a little bit,' so it's time to come..." (He's tugging at my arm.)
Me: "I will come very soon-"
Julian: "It's soon already!" (He's pulling more concertedly.)
Me: "I'm almost done; I have one page left." (I'm still looking at the book.)
Julian: "Okay....ooha, see look; what's this?" (He turns to look at the pictures)
"They're a pineapple, a pineapple style." (He's looking intently.) [No idea what this means, btw.]
"Eesh. All of them are fat. Also you." (With the last phrase he turns to look at my stomach.)
"See look!" (He pokes my stomach with vigor.)
"Oh, so nice."
"something about how squishy/soft it is that I didn't quite pick up on"
*sigh of contentment* (As he lies his head down on my belly.)
You know, this would be a whole lot funnier if it were a little less true.

Oh, you guys, this is such fun to see!!! I love Julian's little voice... I also love seeing how well your students are focusing and doing their work. You are doing a wonderful job!!! Dad and I pray for you many times during the day. Love you--Mom
ReplyDeleteAwwwwww! Julian is adorable!! And it's so great that you actually caught it on video... I love you guys! Keep up the amazing work!
ReplyDeleteSmile lists are awesome! :) Do you guys just perpetually keep a video camera in class? And how did you know to turn it on in time? Not a bad idea for recording hilarious conversations like this one...and his voice is so cute!
ReplyDeleteYeah...it IS pretty miraculous that they all focused on their work for fifty whole seconds!! :P I don't know if I told you guys, but my computer screen is dead, so I have to plug it into a screen at the school to use it. :( The upside is that I can turn the functioning screen away from class and my dead screen towards class and so take constant video of class without them knowing. We've caught some pretty ridiculous stuff! :) (And I'd have to second the motion on his voice!!)
ReplyDelete