After that, I'll be on stage for opening night...hoo boy.
Oh! For those of you who don't know, I auditioned for the winter quarter play, Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Christmas Carol, and, surprisingly, got Sherlock! So for two months I've been working 15+ hours a week rehearsing and learning lines (this week was closer to 25...). I've been working my tail off in preparation for this thing.
And now it's opening night.
Intimidating. Also exciting. I'm surprisingly calm, though. There are slight bits of concern bouncing around, but either they're not overly severe or I'm suppressing them. I'm trying to assume it's the former.
Acting is interesting. It's not, for me, so much being who you're not as finding parts of you that are the same as the character you're portraying. This can be disconcerting. When I get on stage after finding out I'm the same as the character I'm playing, I feel what the character feels. I think what the character thinks. My problems no longer apply or concern me, and the character's are overwhelming.
When the director stops us during one of these times to correct something, I can't just leap out of character. I have to take thirty seconds or a minute and get over whatever was just going on. I pace moodily, glare, take deep, gulping breaths.
It makes me think of Jesus on the cross. He was suddenly thrown into character: our character. And it killed Him. It ripped Him from God.
And the good news?
He puts us into His character. And we are free.
No comments:
Post a Comment