Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Now I don't remember this, but...

...I'm told that when I was just a little guy, perhaps six or seven, I asked Momma, "When the Bible says that 'all things work together for good,' does that mean for our good, or for the good of those around us?"

Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I like this story muchly. :) It's a confusing question. Maybe "for good" means for the furthering of God's rescue plan for us. (I know that's kind of assuming a lot--I'm just musing..) Like when we get to heaven, maybe we'll look back on the events--both big and little--of this world and say, "NOW I see how God wove that into this other story to promote the good of the event/person/thing involved and therefore further His plan (whether or not we were directly benefited or not). I haven't researched, it, though, and so I don't have any Biblical backup... You should do a study on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good question! :) I'd be interested to know what Momsie said...

    However, the verse does say "...work together for good for those who love Him, for those who are called according to His service." (or something like ~ I didn't go look it up.) So it is for us - but also for those around us. I know I can already look back and see so many blessings that came out of truly difficult times. Blessings for me and (in instances when friends have shared with me) for those around me!

    I do think, Jo, that you're right, though: we will not know the full benefit of the trials until heaven. Our Pastor described it once as seeing the underside of a tapestry being worked on. Lovely colors in different clusters, with various threads cut & knotted & left hanging. When we get to heaven, the tapestry will be turned over and we'll see the real picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I like both of your thoughts... (Wait--I just said I like both of one person's thoughts; how would I say I like both people's thoughts in the second person? 'I like the thoughts of you both?' That's awkward...) Thankee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I haven't been here for a while...

    Ultimately, isn't our "good" defined by the furthering of God's kingdom? The best thing that could ever happen to me is that somebody sees Christ in me. Our "good" has nothing to do with our own feelings or emotions when it's all said and done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow now I haven't been on here in a while. Interesting thought. 'Cause the text says 'to the good of those who love God'. Notice that it does not say 'you.' So even if you love God, something bad might happen to you to benefit another of God's beloved, but then as you point out, in eternal context, the it is possible for a bad thing to be the best possible occurrence...interesting.

    ReplyDelete