Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hi.

I'm writing not because I have anything in particular that I want to say, but rather because I have said nothing in a very long time.  Solomon says that he who holds his tongue is counted wise, but somehow I don't think that this is the impression that you all have formed of me. 

At any rate, you should know that I am alive and well.  You should also know that I am super excited to be coming home in under a month.  And you should know that the fact scares me out of my wits. 

There are times in every life during which the owner of that life has absolutely no idea what's going on.  This is one of those times.  I've been here for nine months, and now I'm about ready to leave.  But my stay hasn't followed stereotype, or anti-stereotype, or anything any of my friends who have spent time overseas have told me. 

This has bee decidedly atypical.

WWU sent me a book on common issues one has re-entering their native culture after a missions experience.   But every experience and problem that they outline as typical simply does not fit.  They speak of receiving one reaction, Jen and I got only the opposite.  Was the book helpful?  Yes, in that it got me to think about the issue.  Were most of the issues dealt with helpful?  Not in the least.

So all of this got me thinking: what will I say when people ask me questions about my experience?  The resounding answer received was this: I do not know.

Okay.  This is failing.  I'm trying to lift the mood of blackness by being silly, and am utterly failing (see above).  Okay.  I'll give that up.

The point in all this melancholy is that I'm confused right now.  I need two weeks in the wilderness alone immediately upon my arrival back home to sort it all out.  But I'll be fine. 

I have absolutely no insights to share or humorous anecdotes to tell, but don't worry about me.  I must just be in the throes of a semi-nearly-post-student-missionary depression experience.  The worst I'll do to myself is eat chocolate. 

G'nite, and God bless every last one of you.  On Him, we may depend.

3 comments:

  1. When people ask you about your experience, and you don't have an answer, all you have to say is "Um. Hello? didn't you read my blog? If you really cared, you'd already know!" :p

    Ok. not true, because we did read your blog, and we'll still ask.

    Also, you're not getting your weeks in the wilderness, 'cause we're probably gonna mob you guys right off the plane.

    BUT, while I'm sure ya'll will need some time to sort everything out, there's no need to borrow trouble from tomorrw. (Or under four weeks!! :). You had "no idea what's going on" when you left nine months ago, so really, it's the same lesson, right? Trust the King for His leading in timing, sorting-out, and words. :)

    We can not wait 'till you guys are back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Sarah said! I think that when you come back and just get into the flow of things again, you'll be able to look back on your experience with a much clearer view. Can't wait to see you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks, guys. Um, girls. Anyway, I really do appreciate the support and thoughts. That is THE awesome thing about being a Christian (that God can always be depended on). See ya all soon!

    ReplyDelete